The Annotated Album skin for JAlbum

Description
    I have prepared the Annotated Album "skin" (a set of templates) for use with the JAlbum software (http://jalbum.net/). Using this skin, JAlbum can generate a Web-based image album consisting of a thumbnail index page and a set of slide pages in which any descriptive information (annotation) associated with an image is displayed alongside the image. Look at a sample Annotated Album.
NEW: see the steps in producing an album.

Album generation
    Basically, the Annotated Album generation process does three things: 1. imports or interactively obtains (or updates) descriptive information for each image in an image folder, 2. embeds each image and corresponding description in a uniquely-named webpage which also includes navigation controls, and 3. creates a thumbnail index to these framed images and descriptions. (The descriptive file for zzzz.jpg will be named zzzz.htm or .html and will be stored in the image folder that contains zzzz.jpg. For a discussion of this convention, see the speaker's slides for my 22 Feb. 2003 presentation at the Genealogical Society of Pennsylvania.) JAlbum and the Annotated Album skin will create various folders in the image folder. These folders will hold thumbnails, description components, scaled images, etc. The Annotated Album skin will create or access these as needed; the user doesn't need to be concerned directly with them.

Additional specifications and features
    Image descriptions are entered or updated as plain text during album generation but are later displayed by a browser, so HTML can be pasted in or entered manually, e.g., <strong> and </strong> (or <b> and </b>) to bracket bold material, <em> and </em> (or <i> and </i>) to bracket italic material, etc. (The description heading, though, is automatically bolded by the description template.)
    If you are one of the few who want to prepare the description HTML files separately, you can still use the Annotated Album skin to enter or update the index page thumbnail captions; just rename, move or delete the description.htt in the AnnotatedAlbum folder.

Further information on options and functionality

Download area  (and history log)

Sample uses
    Travel albums, family albums, illustrated histories or stories, visual guided tours, images of manuscripts shown beside their transcriptions, online exhibit catalogues, illustrated blogs, cartoons, illustrated step-by-step instructions (for assembling objects, for implementing complex processes, for dance steps, for stretching exercises, etc.), albums of products for sale, etc., etc.

Suggested settings
  Max image size:
      799x672 for a 1024x768 screen (based on the assumption that portrait-oriented images should not be significantly smaller than landscape-oriented ones, even if that requires some vertical scrolling)
      534x420 for a 800x600 screen
  Thumbnail size: 112x112
(File>Save project  saves settings.)
    The sample album was created with an older suggested setting for a 1024x768 screen (max image size 699x588). Experiment to find out what works best for you and your audience! If you want more room for the image and less for text (or vice versa), you can change the description width on the Annotated Album settings page in JAlbum (the default is 20% of the total width, leaving 80% for the image).

Your ideas
    Please tell me of errors or possible improvements.

Home